Thursday, April 11, 2013

Movie and a Mani: Baby Mama

So this is a new feature here on glimpses, and I thought it would be fun to theme a manicure on a movie.  I don't know about you, but a great time to paint my nails is when I'm watching t.v./a move because they go well together.  I can't really watch media without something else to do to keep my hands busy, and when I'm painting a new mani I like to have something on in the background.  Thus the marriage of the two is born and hopefully a fun new adventure on the blog.

The first movie I picked to feature is one of my all-time happy, feel-good favorites that was in the 5 buck bin at Kmart the other day.  I couldn't resist picking it up and as it sat on my table waiting to be filed in our dvd collection it was just calling out to me to write a review on it and make a Baby Mama themed manicure.


For starters, if you haven't seen this movie I highly recommend it.

Cast
First of all the comedic pairing of Tina Fey and Amy Poehler is right up my alley.  They feed off each other and joke about everything from uncomfortable antics of your boss that you put up with to get ahead, to baby-proofing tactics being too much for some adults.  I think it speaks to every woman on some level...guys, this might not have too many redeeming qualities for you, but hey you might find the excellent casting intriguing enough to sit through the whole film.  The cast includes Steve Martin, Greg Kinnear, Dax Shepard, Romany Malco, Sigourney Weaver, Maura Tierney, Will Forte, and Fred Armisen to name a few.  They must have had so much fun making this film and I really hope you give it a try.

Overview
This review isn't meant to be a complete summary because I still want there to be some elements of surprise left when you view the film.  I will however give you the basics:  Tina Fey is a woman who finds herself conflicted in her thirties concerning her choices to put her career over her family life.  She is successful at everything except being able to conceive a child and therefore reaches out to explore the world of surrogacy.  Enter the picture, Amy Poehler ready to be the surrogate.  What results is hilarious discovery wherein these two "opposites" learn that they have more in common than they thought.  I was laughing from start to finish and that's a pretty good basis for me whether a comedy was successful- wouldn't you think?  I really think you should give this film a try.  I think it speaks to every woman on some level...guys, this might not have too many redeeming qualities for you, but hey you might find the excellent casting intriguing enough to sit through the whole film.  The cast includes Steve Martin, Greg Kinnear, Dax Shepard, Romany Malco, Sigourney Weaver, Maura Tierney, Will Forte, and Fred Armisen to name a few.  Here's a link to the trailer so you can watch it and then immediately go rent it of course! :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6nZngBEbg8  Have a girl's night planned in the near future?? Perfect choice.

Manicure
The mani this film inspired me to rock looks like this:



The polishes used here are China Glaze Sunday Funday, Sinful Colors Cotton Candy, Color Club Metamorphosis, Color Club Wing Fling, and Milani Yellow Whiz.

I started out with your basic baby colors of blue and pink, and gender signs because there is literally no baby involved in the plot for the majority of the movie.  What you do have however is a lot of wondering about said baby, how it will affect one's life and how its conception/arrival will be brought about.  They really keep you guessing for most of the film and therefore the question marks made a substantial portion of the manicure.

Nail Art in the movie:  Pretty much non-existent (tsk tsk).  But it does include some fashion which is a plus.  Btw I didn't go into the screening expecting to find nail art in the film but hey- a girl can dream, right?

Unnamed male review of this film: "Baby What?  If I have seen this movie, I don't remember it.  It does star two actresses that have had funny careers, so it should be good, and yet I find it very unmemorable because well I don't remember the movie at all. Baby Mama I'd give a one thumb sideways..."

There you have it, I am giving you both sides of the story, but maybe the unnamed male critic will chose to give the movie another chance after reading my review...just maybe.

Hope you enjoyed this segment and let me know if there are any films you want me to review and use as inspiration for my next movie and a mani post.

Go have a laugh now :)

Over and Out

2 comments:

  1. As the unnamed male reviewer I don't think I actually saw this movie but I think I see a date night in my future....so whatcha think cutie wanna have a movie date night????

    ReplyDelete