Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Tuesday Tutorial: Don't Get it Twisted

Hello lovelies!  I have a requested tutorial today that shows you how to achieve the nail art I featured last Friday.  Here's the look with a different color scheme:


So let's get started.

1)Start out with clean nails and give yourself a strengthening base coat and two coats of your chose base color.


2)Using your second/contrasting color, make 6 dots on your nail in this pattern.  When you're going to be doing delicate work with your brush I find acrylic paint to work better than nail polish for work-ability.


3)Using your detail brush paint a curved line from the middle dot to the dot diagonally to the right, and then another curved line from the same dot-to-dot(creating an oval).


4)Continue painting these two-step ovals diagonally always in the same direction till each dot has two ovals coming and going from  it.


5)Using the same color you're going to paint a "u" shape from each dot down diagonally to the right into the oval already existing in that space.  Then paint another "u" shape from the next dot diagonally down the the right up into the oval you just connected the last "u" to.  This gives the appearance that you painted an oval underneath, but of course you really didn't ;)


6)Continue painting these "u" shapes from each dot in this manner.


7)When the above step is complete from every dot- your nail will look like this:


Finished off with a top coat once you've given the paint a little while to set, and there you have it!


If you wanna add a little variation to one accent nail, or you could continue it all the way across your nails if you have more time on your hands, take a look at this image and I'll explain below what I did to the design.
Using the blue paint I filled-in all the ovals and then to re-accentuate the original shapes and make the levels become more clear again, I took a third color and outlined all the ovals again, drawing them in the order that I did originally- first the ovals, and then the "u" shapes.  Et voila!  What do you think?  I really enjoy the accent nail.  I think it takes the design to another level :)  I hope this was clear enough for you and if you try this for yourself let me know how it went!!

Song of the Day: Daft Punk-Doin' It Right
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W4ooVNr82U
*disclaimer- these songs are suggested for their audio, and not video content*

Over and out.

6 comments:

  1. Wow this is gorgeous! Thank you so much for the tutorial! I just came across your post on the 'Creative Bloggers Party & Hop'. I can't wait to try this out!

    Marlee @ theteachingintern.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your nails& the way that they turned out!

    I'm now following you... You are welcome to follow me & link up on my blog for the nail party that I help host! Thanks!

    Xoxo
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your nails turned out great! That seems like something even I might be able to do; can't wait to give it a try! I'll be featuring this on my blog tomorrow.

    http://www.sumossweetstuff.com

    Thanks for linking up!
    Sumo:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are really skilled with these nail designs. I tried doing some simple designs and... I'm not very good. lol Thanks for sharing at Submarine Sunday! Oh, at this week's party, I shared a pic of my Candy Crush inspired nails. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome tutorial! You made it look pretty simple! I'm definitely going to keep practicing with free hand nail art. This was really helpful- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad Aaliyah :) You're so welcome!

      Delete