Thursday, July 25, 2013

Movie and a Mani: The Host

Watch out it's time to review another film. :)  How are ya'll doing today btw?  The film for this week is The Host, based off a book by Stephenie Meyer, the author who also wrote the Twilight Saga.  I almost got through all of those books but couldn't quite finish the fourth...that should tell you whether or not I read the book this film was based off of.  I heard some things about how it was hard to get into, and since I was almost forcing myself to read the Twilight Saga, I didn't read The Host before the film came out.  However, after viewing the film, I might just borrow it from a friend and give it a chance.  I really like this image from the film because it fairly sums up for me the role of Wanderer/Melanie.

Let's get into it:

Cast:
The lead in this film is played by Saoirse Ronan(Hanna, The Lovely Bones, and City of Ember).  She has the responsibility of playing two roles- that of Melanie Stryder and Wanderer.  Within the first few minutes of the film you learn what the meaning of the title of the film is- aliens are using human bodies as hosts in order to conquer Earth and other planets.  Both characters end up having some control of the host body as the film progresses and you get to know both Melanie and Wanderer.  Other actors holding important roles in the film are Diane Kruger(National Treasure films), Max Irons(Red Riding Hood), Jake Abel(Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightening Thief, The Lovely Bones, and I Am Number Four), and William Hurt(Mr. Brooks, Vantage Point, and The Village).  All in all, they each did a fine job in this film, especially Saoirse.  She is a favorite of mine :)

Overview:
So let's pick up where I left off above.  Melanie has been captured and the being self-named Wanderer receives her body as a host and begins to access Melanie's memories in order to help the Seekers- led by Diane Kruger's character- to find the remaining humans resisting Earth's complete occupation by the alien species.  However, when Wanderer takes over Melanie's body, Melanie is still there sharing the space.  Melanie can't control Wanderer, but she can speak directly to Wanderer through thoughts and memories and can occasionally force Wanderer's hand.  What follows is a path to see how these two will co-inhabit this body, who will win out, if Wanderer will work to enforce the aliens' plans, or if getting to see Melanie's world and the other humans still resisting will affect Wanderer's constitution and decisions.  I'm not one to drop spoilers, so never expect me to tell you how things end up.  If you want to know that- you'll have to watch it yourself ;)  I will say that I did enjoy this film.  It was an unexpectedly sweet love story-and not just in the typical boy meets girl kind of way.  The sisterly love was my favorite part.

Manicure:
The inspiration for this manicure came from the shockingly bright eyes of the aliens.  Here's what resulted
It's meant to look like the layering of colors in the eyes of the beings who take over the host bodies.  Did I get close?

Conclusion:
I have only my opinion for you today because I didn't have a partner watching with me again on this one.  However, if you've found your tastes in film align with mine from the films in the past, you'll probably like The Host, as I did.  Like I said, it's a very sweet love story and it was a refreshing change from the sorts of drama you find in the Twilight books/films.  Even though The Host also concerns the supernatural, and has a love triangle...or rectangle...but the characters feel sincere in their emotions.  You know what it is...it's probably because the leading lady knows how to act- that's probably the difference :)  Playing two completely different people interacting with each other- and pulling it off so well? If they hadn't picked an actress worth her salt this wouldn't have worked I think.  But it did, and it even made me tear up.  I hope you watch this film and enjoy it the way I did.  It has a little something for everyone- sci fi, intrigue, action, adventure, drama, and romance.  I recommend it to you :)

Well that's it for Movie and a Mani, on to Song of the Day: Magichour- Mister Lies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7szC17Be3o0&list=UUXIyz409s7bNWVcM-vjfdVA
*disclaimer- these songs are suggested for their audio, and not video content*

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment