Sunday, August 24, 2014

Saturday Random Swatchfest: 8/23/14

Another Saturday has rolled around so it's time to swatch, people!  On Saturdays we look at 10 random polishes from my stash that haven't been featured on my blog or channel yet.  If you'd like to see them swatched live for you, you might enjoy the video version of this swatchfest.  You can find it here:

If you aren't aware yet, most of my posts here have a companion video on my Youtube channel.  Aren't familiar with Youtube yet?  Well you can subscribe to my channel there for free and it will allow you to follow what I'm doing- just like following me here, except there is no reading involved and you can just sit back and watch me gab at you :)

If you do prefer to read my reviews, well that's great too!  Let's get to some photos:
For red we have Nicole by OPI Boys n Berry.  It's definitely more of a lustrous red to me than a berry, but in any case this looks lovely on the nail.  It's rather thin, but in two coats you can build up opacity and just watch out that you don't have too much on your brush.  I think I found this clearanced at Marshalls.  A


Sinful Shine You'rs Truly is our pink polish this week.  It has subtle shimmer and is a pleasant soft bubblegum pink.  I have come to expect Sinful Shine formula to be nearly one-coaters every time and to be very easy to work with.  This one was sheer, a littler runny, and not that fabulous.  Strange for this line.  I don't think I'll be picking this one up any time soon.  You can find Sinful Shine at Walgreens.  B-


For orange we have the very Fall-appropriate Paisley Attention to Me from Sephora by OPI.  I can totally see using this for a pumpkin mani or other Halloween-themed manicure.  This was sheer at one coat and again, rather thin, but I got it to reach this level of opacity at two coats.  I think I picked this one up at Marshalls or Big Lots.  A-


Amour Arnold Palmer is our yellow polish today.  I'm not sure why they named this polish after the pro golfer, or if that is even the correct reference, but in any case it looks like a banana cream pudding color to me :)  This is two coats and I actually found all the colors in this collection to be kind of streaky and not super pleasant in application unfortunately.  The easiest way for me to find this brand is from transdesign and they are very budget-friendly.  I was really only ok with this one.  B


From a few Halloween collections past, this is China Glaze Zombie Zest which is a totally cool, poison/ooze green jelly that is packed with green and gold shimmer.  Super fun and yucky, I loved that they put this polish in that collection.  I have shown you two coats here, and unfortunately it doesn't quite get opaque at two coats, but I think we can forgive it for being so stinkin' cool!  A


This ultra-deep blackened blue is Color Club First Looks.  This is pretty much a one-coater although I've shown you two here.  Luckily this did not stain my nails and it does look nearly black on the nail but when you look closer you can see all that rich dimension.  I love this one and had no issues with formula and application.  A


For purple today I'm showing you Avon Midnight Plum which is a really great basic from the Avon line.  It has great formula, no staining, no issues with application, and even though the way this polish photographed, I experienced no issues with patchiness when I had it on.  Love this one.  It's dark and vampy, but not so much so that you can't tell it's purple.  You're looking at two coats.  A


OPI I Sao Paulo Over There is our neutral polish this week.  It's such a lovely brown/taupe from the Brazil collection- I really love the vibe this color gives which is chic and put-together.  This one had a great formula- not perfect, but it performs well at two coats.  Man, this picture is reminding me of when my nails were longer and luscious once upon a time.  I just had a bad split the other day so I'm back to nubbins.  Boo Hoo!  I give this one an A.


For glitter I'm showing you Maybelline Color Show Gilded Rose.  This one is really special, because not only does it showcase the rose/gold trend well with the rose and gold colored glitters, but it's resting in a duochrome gold shimmer base, as you can see here in the photos.  I've shown you two coats on its own, but layered over other colors that duochrome really develops and is absolutely stunning!  A


When I chose my A+ polish each week, I pick the polish I didn't want to take off my nails in order to swatch the next item.  Sometimes I will even just be done swatching for the day so I don't have to remove it.  That was true for OPI Push and Shove from the Gwen Stefani collection.  I didn't snatch all the polishes in this collection, but I did this one because it was by far the stand out.  They call it a chrome formula- but to me it practically looks like a mirror on the nail which is so fun and totally unique to my collection.

And that was all 10 polishes! What did you think?? Do you agree with me about the best polish of the week being Push and Shove, or did you like a different one that I featured?  Also- what was on your nails this week?  What are you loving that I totally need to know about?  I hope you're having a great day and I'll see you back tomorrow :)

Song of the Day: Panic! At the Disco- Collar Full
Don't Smoke, Peeps!

Over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment