Thursday, June 6, 2013

Movie and a Mani: Warm Bodies

Why, hello there :)  If you're here today you are looking for one of three things: a movie review (every Thursday I give you my take on a new film to me), a fabulous manicure/nail art(inspired by the movie I've reviewed), or you just really like me ;)  Hey, I guess you could be here because of all three, and then that officially makes you one of da tuff ten!

Well here it is- this week I reviewed the film Warm Bodies.  I've been waiting for it to come to Redbox and it finally has!



Cast
The male and female lead roles in this zombie/romantic comedy are Nicholas Hoult(About a Boy, X-Men: First Class, Jack the Giant Slayer about to come out) and Teresa Palmer(The Sorcerer's Apprentice, and I Am Number Four).  They are joined by Analeigh Tipton(Crazy, Stupid Love, and America's Next Top Model), Rob Cordry(Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, Hot Tub Time Machine), Dave Franco(brother of James Franco, Superbad, 21 Jump Street, Fright Night), and John Malkovich(well we all know who that is).  Super fun cast, played off each other so well in a movie that isn't a comedy for the jokes and outrageous intended humorous moments, but in the subtleties that bound a whole movie about zombies turning back into humans together.

Overview
Basically R is a young adult who feels different from those in his surroundings.  He feels like he doesn't quite fit in, which would sound like every other coming-of-age story, except for the fact that he's a zombie.  He feels things at times, he enjoys sensory exploration in music and the vivid memories coming from the brains of his victims....yes this movie obviously combines the gruesome with the beauty(which comes in the acceptance of an individual by another person willing to get to know them for who they really are- which is where the romance comes into play).  Julie is a young adult(human this time) who lives in this world where she and her friends go out each day to find supplies for the remaining humans living in a compound away from the zombies.  It is on one such mission that she and R meet and instead of killing her like all the other zombies would, he feels a connection to her and saves her, giving her shelter from his peers.  What follows is how they develop a friendship and through that comes acceptance and change of heart.

Manicure
I tried a few looks for today's film.  I went ugly with a rotting flesh look on the nails, but I just wasn't into it.  I couldn't demonstrate well enough the change in R, so I went for this look instead:



The idea here is that R starts in the film as a very lifeless, blah zombie- as zombies generally are- but he has just a little color running through his veins(the purple).  Then as the movie progresses, he gains more color, life, and humanity back inside him.  The manicure is meant to demonstrate that concept as it progresses across the hand.  I used Julep Debra as the base, and acrylic paint for the rest.

Additional Review
I actually watched this movie solo this week because Tdawg's reaction to the movie was, "Zombies? Pass."  I guess that is his review...so take it for what it is :)

Conclusion
My recommendation is if you are a rom-com fan who can stomach a bit of gory mess, go pick this one up.  I really enjoyed it and only had to cringe a few times...mostly with the brains- but other than that I really liked the message.  They were taking a look at acceptance and love in a hyperbolic way.  Obviously there are not zombies that need love in our lives(well not yet!) but by examining an outlandish story of love and change through that love, we examine the parts of our own lives where acceptance, kindness, and love can have great change.  Like I said, great message.  If you check it out, let me know what you think about it!

Song of the Day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNj8UUVzl7c

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment