Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Tuesday Tutorial: Water Marble

So, I've been putting off doing a watermarble tutorial for you because you have to do everything so quickly that it's hard to stop and photograph it during the process.  However, today I have it for you because I had a little helper- Mr. Bear was helping me and took all my photos today- yay!
Here's the finished look:

As you can see- we have a holiday-themed water marble today, and that's the first thing you want to do is pick your colors.  You never really know if a polish is going to be good for water marble until you try it.  Pictured here are two creams and a jelly(red) which all worked kinda ok I guess compared to other times I've tried this technique.  The colors here are Sinful Colors Cross My Heart, China Glaze White on White, and Sinful Colors My Bouyfriend.


1)After you pick your colors for your water marble, you need to have a cup with some room temperature water.  Other materials needed are a toothpick or your dotting tool, scotch tape, and acetone and brush for clean-up.  


2) Paint your nail(s) your base color.  I chose to do just one nail for this look today, but you can do all if you want.  I used white as my base color; you don't have to, but I've found it works well as a base.


3) Next tape off your finger, all around your nail making sure to not cover any of the nail with the tape.


4)Get your polishes ready, with the caps off and ready to pick up and drip quickly into the cup.


5)Pick the order that you're going to drip into the cup and start one-by-one placing drops of color right in the middle of the cup, over and over in the middle of all the action.


6) Here's how it looks after a number of drips...quite a number.  Keep goin', keep goin'.


7) Then take your tool(toothpick, or other stick-shaped item) and pull the paint from the middle of your drips outward.  I went with a spiderweb lookin' design, but you can really experiment with interesting choices here.


8) The picture is hard to interpret, but what you're looking at....lol...is my finger wrapped in tape, placed down into the design.  Basically you want to find the part of your design you want on the nail and place your nail right onto it.


9) This crazy picture depicts the next step which is taking the same tool that you used to drag the design, and pulling the paint into one clump so that it doesn't attach to your finger when you lift it out of the water.


10) Here's what your finger looks like when you pull it out of the water.


11) Next remove the tape carefully.





 12) Here's what it looks like with the tape off, and the last thing you need to do is clean up around your cuticle and add a top coat.

 So in the end, I used each of the patriotic colors on each nail, with blue repeated on the thumb.


I hope you enjoyed this look!  Leave me a comment and let me know what you'd like to see on Tutorial Tuesday :)

Song of the Day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qhHUmL0U6k
Listen through to at least 00:53 :)

Over and out.

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous nails! The marble nail is so cool! Seeing cute nails makes me want to start back painting my nails. Thanks for sharing @ Submarine Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by :) Pick up that polish!

      Delete
  2. Awesomeness!! Thanks for the tut! Will get to it after work today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it and you're inspired to create :) Get on it girl!

      Delete
  3. That looks really easy. All of my attempts at marbling have failed. I'll have to try this out. Thanks!

    Angela
    Angela Says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was daunting the first time I tried it, but just don't expect perfection right out and have fun with it. Hope you do try it!

      Delete
  4. How interesting! I wonder what other things could be done using this technique! Very Creative of you, Lizy Co-host of Fluster Buster Party. Have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lizbeth, thanks for stopping by. While I definitely did not originate this technique, I did have a lot of fun getting creative with it. Hope you have a great week!

      Delete
  5. Wow, that is super cool!! Hope it turns out that way if I try it! Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is really neat! What a fun technique. Thanks so much for linking up at the Real Family Fun link party! Hope to see you next week.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saving in faves for my daughter to see when she wakes up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always come up with the most fun things to do with your nails. I really enjoy seeing what you come up with next.Thanks for sharing on Fluster's Creative Muster Party.

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete