Saturday, August 31, 2013

Saturday Random Swatching: 8/31/2013

Good Day everybody :)  Do you have any fun plans for your long weekend? We haven't decided upon anything yet, but since it's Saturday I know one thing: it's random swatching time!! Let's get started.

Red: China Glaze Sacred Heart is called a neon, although for me there's nothing neon about it's hue. However, like a jelly neon it is not opaque on it's own and is best layered over white, which is the way I have swatched it for you today.  This is two coats of Sacred Heart over two coats of white.  I didn't think I was going to like this after my first swatch on a color wheel, but over white it is so beautiful.  It's just a bit of a deeper red, isn't it?  Just lovely.  I give it a B+ just because you do have to layer it quite a bit(just like a neon).




Pink: Color Club Blushing Rose is a delicate pastel pink and this swatch shows two coats.  This one didn't have the most fabulous formula because it was a bit streaky unfortunately.  However, it evened out for the most part after a couple coats.  I love the gentle color of Blushing Rose, but overall I give it a B.




Orange: Princessa Neon Orange is so smooth and vibrant and this isn't even layered over white.  Sorry I don't have the swatch of that to show you side-by-side, but I liked it so much this way it's how I ended up wearing it. This is three thin coats and I know Summer's almost over which means neon season is almost over, but wouldn't this one do well for Halloween too??  I think so! When I picked up these Princessa neons I wasn't too sure about their quality because they were so cheap and because I'd never heard of them, but I have enjoyed everyone of them so far.  If you see them(Ross/Marshalls perhaps) and you have a neon lover at your house, I think they're worth the price tag.  A




Yellow: Sinful Colors Unicorn is like a milky pastel yellow.  I actually was hoping I would love this one but in the end not so much which makes me sad because yellow is one of my favorite colors.  I think it was a combination of the milkiness of the color and the way you have to work to even this shade out that made me rate this one a little lower.  You are looking at two coats, but it needs three to be to the level of opacity I like.  However I didn't want push my luck with this formula :)  It receives a B-




Green: Barielle Positive ZEN-ergy does not need me to tell you how amazing it is.  Look at it's complexity and depth.  Wow I love this color!  I mean this dusty green on it's own, but with all that silver drenched throughout it just becomes spectacular.  You're looking at two coats, and the formula was not at all tricky.  You can find Barielle box sets at Marshalls from time to time at a really great clearance price.  Sometimes you have to take a few duds along with the treasures.  This one is a treasure.  A.




 Blue: Nicole by OPI It's Up To You is a very frosty blue that is almost a foil but not quite.  Frost/foils have their time and place- never my favorite formula, but I don't really hate them the way some people do.  I love you brilliant this polish shines, but I'm not blown away by it I suppose.  You're looking at two coats, and this was not at all difficult to apply.  I found this one in a clearance bin somewhere so I'm not sure if you can find it in their base set, but if you're into this shade I wish you the best of luck in finding it and making it your own.  As for me I give it an A-




Purple: Sation Paint Some Sugar On Me is, as you can see, not quite opaque in two coats.  I really wish it were, because this blurple jelly is just divine.  I love the silver microglitter throughout and the color is just so ambiguous- I love it.  I maybe have to find a good color to layer it over because the opacity just isn't doin' it for me.  Therefore, I rate this a B+ and I'll have to let you know what it looks like layered.  Still gorgeous though!




Neutral: Misa Spaced Out is a no-brainer for me.  Gray polish that has a gritty appearance due to the speckles of matte micro darker gray throughout- I mean this little darlin is right up my alley!  You're looking at two creamy coats and I recommend this color to you wholeheartedly :) A.




Glitter/Texture: Ulta Indigo-go Girl over Sally Hansen Berry Sweet ends up being a stellar combination, don't you think?  I usually don't stumble upon a color combination that I like as much as I like this one!  The glitter top coat in a clear jelly base is a violet/periwinkle multi glitter(medium hexes and microglitter) of the same color. Layered over this pinked-up maroon it is simply perfection for me.  A.




Featured Polish: Wet n Wild Caribbean Frost is a 99 cent polish that you can often find on sale for 69 cents- and just look at it!  I know frosts are not everyone's cup of tea, and for myself, I don't enjoy wearing colors this vibrant everyday, but it's my featured color because for the price it is extraordinary.  This color looks like a tropical oceanic green and you're looking at two coats.  This is gorgeous and Wet n Wild not only has a number of great polishes that are very budget-friendly, but their eye shadow sets are quite a bang for your buck as well.  Admittedly there are some polishes from this brand that I have been somewhat disappointed with, but that's the way it is with most brands- a few misses here and there, right? Do you think this polish is as bangin' as I do? A+ color of the week :)


There you have it.  Which was your favorite of the bunch?  Which would you rock? The above brands can be found at the following locations:
Wet n Wild: Walmart, Kmart, CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens
Ulta: Ulta
Misa: transdesign.com
Sation: transdesign.com
Nicole by OPI: Target, Walmart, CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens
Barielle: transdesign.com
Sinful Colors: Target, Walmart, CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens
Princessa: Ross
Color Club: Ross, transdesign.com
China Glaze: Sally Beauty Supply, transdesign.com

Song of the Day: The Knife- Heartbeats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcv3v6XfEvM
*disclaimer- this link is provided for it's audio and not video content*

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment